Mold testing can help provide insight into the presence or absence of mold and the species identified. Certain types of molds are toxic and have the potential to cause health problems like allergies and irritation (to lungs, eyes, skin, throat, nose). Inhaling and touching mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals and normally healthy individuals may become sensitive to mold after exposure.
The EPA states that, "It is important to take precautions to limit your exposure to mold and mold spores”. The EPA also recommends that if you suspect a hidden mold problem, consider hiring an experienced professional.
Certain molds can damage the substrate it grows on. If there is mold growth observed, cleaning/removing the mold and the damaged materials is recommended. It is also important to address the underlying issue that has caused mold growth in order to prevent mold from reoccurring.
Mold can be hidden behind walls and can develop into a potentially significant problem.Testing your home for mold is a prudent way to prevent small problems from growing into a costly and unhealthy situation.